How to Open an LLC for Non-US Residents (8 Easy Steps)

If you are a non-US resident looking to start a business in the United States, the process may seem daunting at first. However, with the right guidance and understanding of the steps involved, it can be a smooth and straightforward journey. In this article, we will cover eight easy steps to help you open an LLC as a non-US resident.

Benefits of a US LLC

Before we delve into the steps, let’s first understand why choosing a US LLC as a non-US resident can be advantageous. The United States is known for its business-friendly environment, and starting an LLC here can offer numerous benefits. Some of these advantages include:

1. Low Startup Costs: Compared to many other countries, the US has relatively low startup costs, making it attractive for entrepreneurs worldwide.

2. Prestige: Having a company based in the US can enhance your business’s reputation and credibility.

3. Pass-Through Taxation : An LLC is a “pass-through entity,” meaning that taxes can pass through to the owners, potentially reducing the overall tax burden.

4. Limited Liability : As the name suggests, an LLC provides limited liability protection, shielding your personal assets from business debts and liabilities.

With these benefits in mind, let’s explore the eight steps to open an LLC for non-US residents.

1. Deciding How to Form Your LLC

As a non-US resident, you have a few options for forming your LLC:

Using a Service: Consider using a service like “Usa Tax Prep Experts”, which offers a comprehensive package to help you form your LLC, get a registered agent, US address, EIN, phone number, and more.

Filing on Your Own: Alternatively, you can file directly with the state online. This involves picking a registered agent, choosing an LLC name, and filing your LLC online with the state.

2. Obtaining a US Mailing Address

To operate your business remotely, you’ll need a US mailing address. Several providers offer virtual mail services that allow you to receive mail and packages at a physical US address, even if you are not physically present in the country.

3. Applying for an EIN

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is required for tax reporting purposes and to open a US business bank account. If you have a Social Security Number (SSN), you can apply for an EIN online. If not, you will need to fill out Form SS-4 and submit it to the IRS.

4. Getting a US Phone Number

Having a US phone number is essential for business verification, proof of location, customer support, and professionalism. Many online providers offer US phone numbers for non-US residents.

5. Setting Up a US Business Bank Account

As a non-US resident, finding a bank that supports LLCs without a US SSN can be challenging. However, some options, like “Usa Tax Prep Experts banking,” cater specifically to non-US residents seeking to open US business bank accounts.

6. Opening a US Stripe Account

Stripe is a popular payment processing platform. To open a US Stripe account, you’ll need an LLC, an EIN number, a physical location in the country of your EIN, a US phone number, and a government ID from any country.

7. Creating a US PayPal Account

Opening a US PayPal account requires an LLC, a company phone number, a company address, an EIN number, and a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

8. Filing Taxes and Staying Compliant with the IRS

As a non-US resident LLC owner, your tax obligations will depend on whether you are “Engaged in US Trade or Business” and have FDAP income or effectively connected income with the US. It’s essential to understand your tax requirements and deadlines to stay compliant with the IRS.

9. How to Stay Compliant with IRS Filing Requirements

As a non-US resident, staying compliant with IRS filing requirements is crucial to avoid penalties and maintain a smooth business operation. Here are some key filing requirements and deadlines to keep in mind:

For Foreign Single Owner/Sole Proprietor (Foreign Single Member LLC):

If you own a Foreign Single Member LLC and are not “Engaged in US Trade or Business,” you are not required to file a 1040NR or pay personal income taxes in the US.

However, as of 2017, all single-member LLCs are required to file Form 5472, even if they are not required to pay personal income taxes. Failure to file or incorrect filling may result in penalties.

For Multi-Owner (Multiple Member LLC):

If you have a Multi-Owner or Multiple Member LLC, you are required to file a partnership return (Form 1065) by March 15th of each year or request a six-month extension.

While you are not obligated to hire a professional Certified Public Accountant (CPA) to handle these filings, many non-US residents find it beneficial to work with a CPA familiar with international tax laws to ensure accurate and timely submissions.


Opening an LLC for non-US residents may seem complex, but it offers numerous advantages for entrepreneurs looking to establish a presence in the US market. With the right guidance and a clear understanding of the steps involved, you can navigate the process smoothly.

Remember that while some services like “Usa Tax Prep Experts” can assist you with the entire process, you can also choose to file independently. Whatever route you choose, having a US-based LLC can give your business the edge it needs in the global market.


Can a non-US resident start a US LLC?

Yes, non-US residents can start a US LLC without the need for US citizenship or a Social Security Number (SSN).

What is the difference between an LLC, C Corp, and S Corp?

An LLC provides limited liability protection and is generally easier to start and maintain. A C Corporation is ideal for businesses seeking venture capital and going public. An S Corporation is a tax designation that allows pass-through taxation like an LLC but has specific eligibility requirements.

Which state is the best to form an LLC in as a non-US resident?

For non-US residents, Wyoming and Delaware are popular choices due to their business-friendly regulations and anonymity options.

Can I apply for an EIN online without a Social Security Number?

If you don’t have an SSN, you can apply for an EIN by filling out Form SS-4 and submitting it to the IRS.

Is it necessary to pay a professional CPA to file LLC-related forms?

While you are not required to hire a professional, many non-US residents find it helpful to work with a CPA to navigate complex tax forms and requirements effectively.

Do I need a US-based physical presence to open an LLC?

No, as a non-US resident, you do not need a US-based physical presence to open an LLC. You can operate your business remotely using virtual mail services and other digital tools.

Can I use Stripe or PayPal as a non-US resident without a US SSN?

Yes, Stripe does not require a US SSN and only needs an EIN and formation documents. However, PayPal does require a US SSN or ITIN in addition to an EIN and formation documents.

Can I open a US bank account as a non-US resident without a US SSN?

Opening a US bank account as a non-US resident without a US SSN can be challenging. However, some options like “Usa Tax Prep Experts banking” cater specifically to non-US residents seeking to open a US business bank account.

What are the tax advantages of having a US-based LLC?

The main tax advantage of a US-based LLC is pass-through taxation, which means the LLC’s income is taxed at the individual owner’s level, potentially reducing the overall tax burden.

Are there restrictions on business types for non-US residents opening a US LLC?

While there are no specific restrictions on business types, it’s essential to ensure that your business is not on Stripe’s or PayPal’s list of restricted businesses before using their services.

Remember, opening a US LLC as a non-US resident allows you to access a vast market and enjoy the benefits of a business-friendly environment. With careful planning and adherence to IRS regulations, your US-based LLC can thrive and grow beyond borders.